This program’s application entry has closed on September 9th. The selected finalists will be announced in the beginning of November. Thank you for applying and we wish you all the best for your animation!
1. Aims of the project:
This project, organized by the Agency for Cultural Affairs (Bunka-cho / Government of Japan), is an artist in residence program which aims to provide three outstanding young animation artists from around the world with an opportunity to come to Tokyo and create new works while directly interacting with Japanese animation culture. In doing so, we aim to promote both the creation of excellent works of animation and a better understanding of Japanese culture.
2. Target field: Animation production
3. Number of applicants accepted: 3
4. Duration of the program: 70 days between January 7th and March 17th 2014
5. Support provided
- Travel expenses
- Living allowance
- Travel insurance
- Rental accommodation (including workspace)
- Location: Tokyo
- Expert assistance
- Opportunity to present finished work
- Opportunities to interact with Japanese creators
6. Program summary
- Education/training: participants will give reports on the progress of their work being created as part of the program and will receive guidance from accomplished Japanese animators/experts on a regular basis.
- Visits/exchange events: participants will visit animation studios and participate in exchange events with artists and students enrolled in art programs at educational institutions.
- Creation of a new work: participants will begin a new work while in Japan and present the finished work or one part of a work in progress at the end of their stay.
7. Conditions of participation
- Reside outside of Japan and be a citizen of a country other than Japan.
- Have had one of their animated works screened at an international film
festival, exhibition or similar event.
- Be between the ages of 20 and 35 on September 9th 2013.
- Be able to speak either English or Japanese at least well enough to communicate in everyday situations.
- Be in good health.
- Have access to the equipment necessary to participate in a remote interview (i.e. a computer capable of connecting to the internet and using
8. Application period
Applications will be accepted beginning July 1st 2013. Application forms and all required documents/materials must be received by this office by September 9th.
9. Application procedure
A. Fill out the application formFill out the application form (you can download this( Excel ) form from the
Japan Image Council website)
B. Documents/materials to be submitted:
- Documents describing the work to be created as part of this program. It is preferable that applicants submit documents (story board, script, etc.) which make it possible to understand plans for the work in detail.
- Upload up to 3 of your previous works to YouTube or Vimeo (include a password if necessary). In the case of an installation, upload any additional materials other than video and write the link at which they can be accessed on your application form.
- Proof of a work having been screened at a film festival, featured in an exhibition, etc. (e.g. a copy of the list of works in a festival catalogue). Proof of more than one film having been screened is not required.
- Proof of age and citizenship (e.g. a photocopy of your passport).
To complete the application process, please send the application form (A) and the required documents and materials (B) via email attachments to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your circumstances do not allow you to upload video to the Internet submission via DVD or other video media may be accepted. In such cases our office must be contacted in advance.
A selection committee composed of experts in this field will make two rounds of selections (the first based on applications, the second based on interviews conducted via the Internet) to arrive at a preliminary list of candidates to be invited to participate in the program. Those selected will be contacted at the beginning of November and once all conditions of participation have been confirmed the selection will be formally announced.
11. Notice of terms of application/participation.
By applying to this program applicants acknowledge that they agree to the following terms and conditions.
- After the application period has ended applications cannot as a rule be rescinded. If unavoidable circumstances arise please notify us as soon as possible.
- Applicants will not as a rule decline an invitation after they are selected to participate in the program.
- Participants understand the purpose of their stay and will spend the entire period in Japan. As a rule applicants will not return to their home countries until the program has ended.
- Participants will actively take part in activities related to the program such as lectures, workshops, and visits to schools and studios.
- Applicants submit a plan for an animated work at least three minutes in length. If they are selected participants in the program will work on this animation project while in Japan and at the end of their stay will present either a completed work or a work in progress to show what they have accomplished during their time in Japan.
- If what is presented at the end of the program is one part of a work in progress (see (5) above), the participant will complete the work after leaving Japan and submit a DVD of the finished work by December 2014.
- The name of this program, “International Invitation Program for Animation Artists 2014″, and the logos of the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs and Japan Image Council must be displayed in the credits of the completed work.
- As a general rule all equipment (computers, cameras, etc.) needed to produce the work created as part of the program will be brought by the participants.
12. Contact information
JAPAN IMAGE COUNCIL
Animation Artist in Residence Tokyo 2014
2-10-2, Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, 150-0002 Tokyo, JAPAN
Tel: +81-3-6670-5676 fax: +81-3-5466-0054
Organizer: Agency for Cultural Affairs (Bunka-cho / Government of Japan)
Administrative Office: Japan Image Council (JAPIC)
International Invitation Program for Animation Artists