International Invitation Program for Animation Artists
“Animation Artist in Residence Tokyo 2012-2013”
Information for prospective applicants
This program’s application entry has closed on September 10th.
The selected finalists will be announced in the beginning of November.
Thank you for applying and we wish you all the best for your animation!
1. Aims of the project:
This project, organized by the Agency for Cultural Affairs (Bunka-cho / Government of Japan), is an artist in residence program which aims to provide three outstanding young animation artists from around the world with an opportunity to come to Tokyo and create new works while directly interacting with Japanese animation culture. In doing so, we aim to promote both the creation of excellent works of animation and a better understanding of Japanese culture.
2. Target field: Animation production
3. Number of applicants accepted: 3
4. Duration of the program: 70 days between December 2013 and March 2013
5. Support provided
- Travel expenses
- Living allowance
- Travel insurance
- Rental accommodation (including workspace)Location: Tokyo
- Materials stipend (within limits)
- Expert assistance
- Opportunity to present finished work
- Opportunities to interact with Japanese creators
6. Program summary
- Education/training: participants will be given various opportunities including the chance to visit animation studios and take part in seminars at visual arts schools.
- Workshops: participants will receive periodic assistance and instruction from experienced Japanese animators at every stage of their project.
- Creation of a new work: participants will begin a new work while in Japan and present the finished work or one part of a work in progress at the end of their stay.
7. Conditions of participation
- Reside outside of Japan and be a citizen of a country other than Japan.
- Have had one of their animated works screened at an international film festival (a festival which screened films from other countries besides their own) at least once.
- Be between the ages of 20 and 35.
- Be able to speak either English or Japanese well enough to communicate in everyday situations.
- Be in good health.
- Have access to the equipment necessary to participate in a remote interview (e.g. a computer capable of connecting to the internet and using Skype).
8. Application Period
Applications will be accepted beginning July 1st 2012. Application forms and all required documents must be received by September 10th.
9. Application procedure
Please apply through the Japan Image Council website.